Term of Reference
Consultant Programme Manager, India
India – flexible
The Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN) is an international network of NGOs and whose mission is to be a global network supporting the transformation of agriculture into a sustainable activity. SAN has over 20 years of experience in sustainable agriculture best practices development and certification in over 40 countries and with more than 100 crops. SAN is now moving away from certification to deliver greater impacts through on-the-ground, customized sustainable agriculture solutions and programmes.
SAN is recruiting for a key role in India to lead the development of new projects and programmes, and build relationships with stakeholders and partners. This work will be based in India and working closely with the SAN team in London (UK) and San Jose (Costa Rica). The position will require travel within India – estimated between 30%- 50% of the time, and some international travel.
The Programme Manager will:
- Lead on SAN’s programmatic work in India and support the SAN team to secure the resources and partnerships for implementation;
- Manage the implementation of projects including financial and progress reporting and other monitoring documentation as required and ensuring availability of all supporting documents for audit and review purposes;
- Develop and maintain relationships, partnerships and collaborations with Indian organizations (civil society, private businesses, local and national government, academic etc);
- Contribute to the creation of internal knowledge, tools and processes;
- Participate in SAN’s strategic thinking and development;
- Provide efficient support to contract administration including preparation and finalization of contracts;
- Support in the processes of preparation of proposals, implementation strategies and workplans.
- At least 10 years of experience in the agriculture industry in India, with experience in export commodities;
- Demonstrated experience designing and managing farmer-field projects with multiple stakeholders (local, national and international);
- Experience in evaluation of training needs, assessment of good practices and designing and delivering effective training sessions for farmers, technical extension agents and outreach to village communities;
- Good technical background in/understanding of agronomy;
- Awareness and sensitivity of culture and gender in the rural agriculture sector;
- Proven written and verbal communications skills for audiences of diverse social, cultural and educational backgrounds;
- Demonstrated experience in managing project budgets and producing financial and narrative reports (English);
- The ability and willingness to work independently and remotely, in close collaboration with SAN’s international team;
- An Indian national with strong local language and English language skills.
Attributes, knowledge and skills
- A self-motivated individual with excellent interpersonal and communication skills who is committed to SAN’s mission and can build solid and trusted relationships with farmers, business and civil society;
- A strong team-player who can work remotely and independently;
- Strong interest and commitment to making measurable improvements to agricultural practices to benefit human and environmental health, and social wellbeing;
- Skilled at the organization and management of technical teams and partners (for field work);
- Deep knowledge of challenges for Indian agriculture, particularly for small to medium farms;
- Innovative and creative thinker;
- Familiar with new technologies for farmer support and the ability to evaluate their appropriateness and effectiveness;
- Analysis and synthesis skills.
Interested individuals please email a copy of your CV and a letter of interest (no more than 1 page) to Tom Divney, Technical Director firstname.lastname@example.org.